We have 132 guests online
26 Oct 2010 SLC1R Halesowen Town 1-3 Rugby Town PDF Print E-mail

Red Insure League Cup 1st Round – Tuesday, 26th October 2010

Halesowen Town 1 Rugby Town 3

Halesowen bowed out of a third cup competition within a fortnight after Luke Keen notched a hat-trick for lower league Rugby Town in the first round of the League Cup. Old boys Ben Steane and Niki Preston returned to the Grove in Rugby’s sky blue colours and the Yeltz also welcomed back experienced Gary Knight in the heart of the home defence. Grove refereeing jinx Robert Lovegrove MBE also safely negotiated a full 90 minutes without meteorological incident.

After a low-key start, Alex Roofe hit a weak shot at Rugby goalkeeper David Clarke midway through the first period before the visitors took the lead in the 25th minute when KEEN accelerated down the right and cut in to fire past Dean Coleman. A long range 28th minute free-kick from James Williams was then turned around the post by visiting goalkeeper Clarke but the resulting corner from Connor Gater came to nothing.

KEEN doubled Rugby’s lead in the 37th minute when he was left onside but all alone by the home fullbacks to chase a long ball straight down the middle and nonchalantly slot home beyond Coleman.

As the Yeltz tried to recover, Clarke made a hash of a 39th minute goalkeeping clearance to leave himself stranded out of goal, but recovered to claw out Lee Osborne’s goal-bound effort. However, GATER did reduce the deficit by superbly curling a direct free-kick into the back of helpless Clarke’s net from 20 yards just four minutes before the break.

Halesowen were unable to equalise in the second period although young substitute Tyler Maxwell struck along goal in the 57th minute and Clarke collected from Osborne a minute later. Clarke then dived at Osborne’s feet in the 63rd minute and a free-kick from Gater floated across goal after 72 minutes. KEEN completed his hat-trick for Rugby by easily tucking a 78th minute penalty past Coleman to finish off the game after Knight tripped Danny Phipps-Hall.

Swindon Supermarine’s F. A. Cup progress now leaves Halesowen without a game until November 13th.

Halesowen Town: Coleman; Milton, Jarrett, Knight, Godwin, Gater (Nardiello 75), Connor (c), Bruce, Osborne, Roofe (Maxwell HT), Williams (Yousif 53). Unused Subs: Young, Flower.

Rugby Town: Clarke; Goodbody, Phipps-Hall, Preston, Charles, Heath, Steane, Sheppard (Connolly 75), Alexander (Wesley 69), Keen (Hamilton 81), Gunderlach. Unused Subs: Moran, Fagan.

Referee: R. Lovegrove MBE (Redditch)

Attendance: 91

Booked: Roofe (14)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack