We have 151 guests online
05 Oct 2010 SLP Halesowen Town 0-1 Cambridge City PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Tuesday, 5th October 2010

Halesowen Town 0 Cambridge City 1

Halesowen’s eager youngsters were edged out by a single goal late in the first half from Cambridge City’s Dave Theobald. However, despite slipping to fifth from bottom in the league table after a sixth straight defeat, the Yeltz more than held own against the largely ineffective league leaders, who have still to concede a goal on their travels in six away league games.

With Dean Coleman unavailable, Mark Fullwood made his first start wearing the Yeltz gloves, with Alex Roofe and Michael Roche also making their debuts.

Just like the previous Saturday, the Yeltz created a great chance within the first minute when Lee Osborne opened up the Cambridge defence to cross from the left, but Craig Connor’s effort was blocked in front of goal by James Krause. As the visitors settled, Craig Hammond laid the ball off for Ashley Fuller to screw wide and Fuller then struck past the post after Tony Burke weaved through.

Hungry Halesowen started to control events and enjoyed a good spell midway through the first half. Ruben Izquierdo’s 22nd minute corner was grabbed by goalkeeper Zac Barrett before a series of crosses rained in on Barrett’s goal following Daryl Taylor’s 24th minute corner.

Captain Connor burst forward in the 28th minute only to see his rasping 20-yard drive fly inches high. On the half-hour Taylor was put through but Cambridge central defender Lee Chaffey made a crucial challenge and goalkeeper Barrett completed the clearance by turning the ball around his post.

Izquierdo went closer still and was unfortunate to see his 32nd minute low drive rebound back off the post before flashing another shot just wide a minute later.

But the Lilywhites grabbed their solitary winning goal after 38 minutes when defender Dave THEOBALD powered home a header directly from Adrian Cambridge’s corner.

However, Cambridge failed to show their full credentials despite consolidating top spot in the table as neither side controlled a second period of few chances. The Yeltz made a double substitution at the break and a 65th minute corner from substitute Sam Youngs flew across the Cambridge goal with Courtney Sowe just unable to connect. Goalkeeper Barrett then stooped to collect a 30-yard free-kick from Youngs after 75 minutes and as Fuller failed to clear his lines, Barrett was forced into another save from Osborne.

Hammond and substitute Declan Rogers had late half-chances for the Lilywhites but Halesowen almost snatched a deserved late point when a fierce volley from full-back James Williams fell inches wide of the upright with four minutes remaining.

Halesowen Town: Fullwood; Roofe, Williams, Godwin, Sowe, Connor (c), Burtoft (Roche HT (Yousif 70)), Gater, Osborne, Taylor (Youngs HT), Izquierdo. Unused Subs: Manchester, Bruce.

Cambridge City: Barrett; Phillips (Nightingale 64), Krause, Theobald, Chaffey, Kennedy, Burke (Midgley 64), Cambridge (c), Hammond, Kolodynski, Fuller (Rogers 75). Unused Sub: Wade.

Referee: M. D’Aguilar (Cannock)

Attendance: 176

Booked: Connor (90)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack